Behind the Scenes: 15 Super Weird Things About Us You Probably Don’t Know
Behold! A behind-the-scenes post in which we share some really REALLY silly things about ourselves!
1. Oscar Wilde totally approves of our tattoos, which are both inspired by his fairy tales. Sara has a nightingale on her wrist, and Brittany has a rose on her leg. When we went to Dublin, we paid homage to Wilde’s statue by presenting him with the components of “The Nightingale and the Rose,” with much brandishing of limbs!
2. Early in our friendship, we went to see Tom Stoppard’s play Arcadia. We were both so obsessed that we mutually agreed we had to go back the next night to see it again. We think this may have been the moment we realized we were going to be friends forever.
3. Brittany hates celery so much that when Sara cooks with it, she comes wailing into the kitchen crying “nooooooo celeryyyyy!” from actual rooms away. Sara absolutely loathes bananas.
4. One time “Total Eclipse of the Heart” came on the sound system in a thrift store. We RAN from opposite sides of the shop, met in the middle, GASPED with joy when we found each other, and sang our hearts out while the surrounding thrifters looked on with confusion.
5. We once lived together in an apartment with a loft in Columbus, Ohio – Sara lived downstairs, Brittany lived upstairs (and frequently acted out dramatic scenes on her little balcony loft.) At one point, four cats and one enormous Akita lived there too!
6. When we moved into the loft, we rented a U-HAUL to go get some furniture we found on Craigslist. We got the smallest van they had… but they were all out of those when we got there and Sara had to drive THE BIGGEST U-HAUL OF THEM ALL. She cried. Brittany laughed wildly.
7. We have a time-honored tradition of taking pictures exactly like this at every amusement park we go to. Look at Brittany’s eyes!
8. We have an undying obsession with this YouTube video. If one of us is grouchy or stressed, there is a HIGH likelihood that the other one will start blasting this song until we both start cackling. This has been our psych-up song for more conference presentations and lectures than we can count. So if you ever wonder what we’re doing right before we get on stage or on camera, now you know!
9. On Facebook, to express our agreement, we will send each other the cat emoji. It’s kinda like “🐈 [this sounds good to me]” “🐈 [yes, I concur]” The cat is a very important member of the Carterhaugh team. Even in serious conversations about schedules or finances, the 🐈 is how we indicate a yes!
10. We both cried when we saw this in person at the Tate. And we stayed in this room (full of Pre-Raphaelite paintings!) until we got kicked out of the museum at closing time.
11. We once came up with a very excellent concept for a BBC America TV show. We still can’t believe it didn’t get picked up.
12. We’ve seen Florence & the Machine together a ridiculous number of times in concert, in a ridiculous number of states. We have taken buses, cars, trains, and planes to see her, and we have absolutely no chill about it. #noregret
13. We love New York City with all of our hearts. It is a source of constant inspiration for us, and we go every chance we get! Seriously, want to go right now? We are there. Well, or would be, if it weren’t for Covid-19. BUT SOON.
14. Sara once bought Brittany these socks for Christmas. They remain one of the best presents she has ever received.
15. Our first ever collaboration was a poem about the Snow Queen, and we wrote it by trading a three-ring notebook back and forth while sweltering next to a pool in a Virginia high summer. It was nominated for the Pushcart Prize, and we decided we needed to write poetry together more often. This led to doing other projects together… which led to Carterhaugh!
LOL! We had a great time putting this list together, so we hope you enjoyed our utter weirdness :P. Now it’s your turn though – share a weird fact about yourself in the comments (they are indeed working again!)